Sunday, February 21, 2010

nights making love all knight

After reading Le Morte D'Arthur, The Once and Future King, and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, I have come to have a true respect for the themes of knights, chivalry, and all of the various comedic absurdities that make up the middle ages. However, my interest in the topic was far from instant. When we first began reading Le Morte D'Arthur, I found it incredibly boring and questioned who would actually read this story by choice, BUT as I forced myself through, and on to The Once and Future King, I began to think that possibly I was quick to judge. Now that I have completed the first three parts of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight I truly enjoy sitting down and dealving into this topic, because I've begun to find that, contrary to my original views, these particular themes and settings really do allow the mind to run wild in some fairly entertaining ways. One aspect of these stories that I think I enjoy most is that, even in the most serious and trivial parts, the reader can't help but laugh at just how ridiculous it all is. Mideival Europe is a land of very proud, very violent men, with a total lack of just cause for anything they choose to do, but this is what makes the story so great. 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment