Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Fifth Child Book Cover...

In my opinion, the book cover that is listed at the very bottom of the choices would fit the story best. The image shows Ben with his hands pressed up against his window, almost as if to suggest to the viewer that he is in some need of escape, be it from the asylum, from his family, or from the world that he is trapped in within his own mind. Ben is shown here as a young child in need. He appears to be longing for something in this photo. He appears to be in desire of what is beyond the window, and yet Lessing does not show us what he desires. This image definitely leaves the viewers mind to wonder and image what it is that Ben is longing for. That is the main reason why I feel this image is the best choice for a cover of The Fifth Child. My second choice for the photo would be the copy of the cover that we used in class. I think the close up view of Ben's face shows and intamacy and a much more personal and human side to Ben.

2 comments:

  1. Carey, I feel that this passage was well written and I agree with your chioce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vanilla bear, I agree with you that he looks trapped and is trapped in the story. Ben is a lost boy that is alone in the world which that cover shows.

    ReplyDelete